Monday, April 7, 2008

The Taxi Driver


Well I had a very lazy weekend when I decide to write this blog… I actually decided to pen it down cos I was returning late at night after a party and the taxi driver proved to be an awesome source of information and I have decided to write this blog about him .......
When I entered the cab and after the usual directions given we both started talking. Usually I don’t talk but the taxi driver insisted on talking so I joined in .He told me he was from Syria and that he was a teacher. My first reaction was so why the fuck r u driving a taxi. He told me he taught physical education in Kuwait in a special school. Which I gather must mean a school for children with special needs. Then he continued by saying that since the salary wasn’t good he quit and got himself 3 cars and converted them to taxis. I asked did he miss his previous life. His answer gave such insight that I decided to write this down. He said he had been working under a manager most of his life. He wanted to be free. With the taxis he earns well. And he is free. I didn’t understand and I guess it registered on my face. So he opened his glove compartment and showed me his passport and visas and stuff he’s like whenever I feel like I travel. No one to stop me or question me. I just get some money and travel to Syria whenever I feel like. I know this doesn’t sound a lot to others but I was impressed. Being an engineer and more educated and stuff I never had the guts to do something like this. I guess the more we r taught the more we need the necessity of a security blanket. I mean look at this guy he earns more than me and has to answer to no one. And in general is damn happy. And while getting out of the cab he said something which I have heard always here and there but somehow I knew he meant it cos he said “Do whatever makes u happy and the rest will follow”.

No comments: