Thursday, January 24, 2008

a books cover

Ok now I don't know how to put this into words but somehow this emotion which I felt I thought should be felt by others and maybe they won't repeat the same mistake. Well it started something like people who have been in touch know where I am working and all so usually I take a lunch break say around 1 in the afternoon . Now my office is in the basement and I hate eating the dining space because it's so suffocating and dark and so not me and since being the foodie I am I try to get out sit and enjoy my meal. There is a restaurant nearby but since I have been on a diet (God knows which time this is) I went out and sat on this construction site which was taking place near our office. I guess its an extension of our office. Also the view while sitting there is awesome cos u can see a huge horizon with only the desert and the cold wind blowing on your face. Plus listening to my ipod and playing was Above and Beyond (Anjuna Beats) – the Goa set which was played on new years in India for the Sunburn festival. Well in short I was in my own island of peace & serenity, in the process secluding me from the din of the computer, printers and the Xerox machines. While I was enjoying my lunch which considered of an apple and a juice I felt a rumble and looked up to see a station wagon pulling up. So what but this one I think had actually been a part of the onslaught of the American soldiers into Iraq. I wouldn't be caught dead in that vehicle but it kept pulling up and obstructed my view ……..Damn!!! And the captain of this magnificent ship resembled captain Hook himself I mean he was tattered and shabby and sported stubble which might have been around 4 to 5 days old with a thin film of cement covering all his clothes. It was like he had walked out from a flour mill. And me in my best suit perfectly ironed to impress my client gave him the dirtiest stare I could muster which meant "stay away or else ….." And by the time he stopped the car, opened the door and walked out I was getting cozy with my apple and juice and drifted back to "la la land". But that day wasn't meant to be on my terms. A huge shadow as cast and I looked up to see the guy looking at me and mumbling some thing. In my mind I thought" Oh man now what does he want?" So reluctantly and internally damning this man to hell I removed and separated my self from my music and asked him in my best gruff voice I could as to what the problem was? And then he did something I never expected him to do. He smiled and said "Roti kahenge aap ?" which means "would you like to share my meal?" (for my Hindi impaired friends).I was shocked and ashamed. I guess he didn't like me sitting and eating an apple or my size just made him think I would remain hungry on an apple and juice but I accepted and said "Kyon nahin !!" which means "Why not!!". And there as I sat eating some dal which I never had the guts to ask him what it was with warm roti's in the biting cold here the view just didn't matter more. I actually couldn't say it to him but I guess he understood. I guess all he wanted was someone to share his food. The guilt which stayed with me stayed for a few days till I met him again and although it was the same him with his usual nonchalant attitude I just realized how someone who worked on the roof of my office building taught me how not judge a book by its cover.

No comments: